Saturday, December 25, 2010

Early Christmas Morning Ride

.
The weather outside is [going to be] frightful [at least for South Carolina] later today:



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AccuWeather.com ALERT
SEVERE WEATHER
EASLEY, SC
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
437 AM EST SAT DEC 25 2010
WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO NOON EST
SUNDAY...
* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES.
* IMPACTS...ONCE THE SNOW INCREASES IN INTENSITY IN THE AFTERNOON
HOURS...ROADS WILL RAPIDLY BECOME SLICK AND DANGEROUS...
ESPECIALLY BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES. HEAVY SNOW MAY ALSO BRING
DOWN TREES AND POWER LINES.
* PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER
CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW
ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN
EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...BE SURE TO TAKE ALONG YOUR CELL
PHONE. WEAR A WARM COAT...GLOVES...AND BOOTS. KEEP A BLANKET...
FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN
EMERGENCY.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



...so I sneak out early this morning, before anyone else is up, for a quick ride. 

It is 32 degrees, and I am out by 6:30, headed southeastward on SC-8 to Williamston, Pelzer, and Ware Place.  I watch the sun rise as I ride along.  The continually changing beauty I enjoy this morning can only be of God.

I turn back toward Greenville, and ride through the nearly deserted streets toward home.  On the way, I notice the clouds have formed in rippled patterns.  It looks like snow to me.  I have never seen clouds like this before.   Maybe it is another gift from above.

When I reach home, about 9:00, the temperature has only risen to 35 degrees, but I am not too chilled from my short 71-mile ride this morning.  I'm glad I went, as I may not be able to go out again for several days if the snow materializes. 

I find another surprise at home.

Someone has left presents under the Christmas tree, and some of them have my name on them! 

No coal this year for Bucky!

Merry Christmas to All 
.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Wow, you're a brave guy. That's too cold for a 71 mile ride for me. Those clouds are interesting. Have a safe and Merry Christmas!

irondad said...

What? No motorcycle sized packages? Like the cloud photo. Those kinds of shots are suprisingly hard to capture. Merry Christmas!

Bucky said...

@ Mike - The cold was not too bad, and I was not out for too long.
I occasionally stop to take pictures. When I do, the wind chill stops and I generate more body heat by walking around, so I can ride some more.
See my earlier postings entitled "Dressing for Cold Weather Riding."

@ irondad - No motorcycle-sized packages, but I did get some motorcycle-accessory-sized ones. (I may not be getting lost as much in future, as a result.)
I have been eying some sort of streetable trail bike, maybe a used Yamaha WR250R, since I seem to like prowling around on gravel and dirt roads, but need to ride on street to get to them.
The camera is a point and shoot Panasonic DMC-LZ8, so I can't take much of the credit. Picasa helps improve them a bit, too.