Sunday, March 10, 2019

Speaking of Waterfalls, This is My Favorite (+ Links to Others)

.
In the previous post, I spoke of the fact that the recent frequent rains here in the Upstate of South Carolina had made the many waterfalls very full.

One of those I cited was Twin Falls, also known as Eastatoe Falls.  It is easy to get to and is quite pretty.  If you have it in you, you can also hike to the top of the falls for a look see from there, though there were lots of fallen trees the last time I tried to get there a couple of months ago.

Since I had a bright, clear day earlier this week, and the temperature was to max out at a balmy 50ºF, I took advantage of it to ride to one of my favorite places.  A little chilly, but I layered up and set out. 

Why is it a favorite?  Here's why:
  • First off, it is a place with very nice scenery.  There are two tall waterfalls, large lakes, and generally things that are pleasant to look at. 
  • Second, it is reached from home by two of three roads that are full of sweepers.  For me, the sweepers are enough of a challenge that they are exciting, but, in reality, they are actually rather mild for the aggressive rider.  I have been passed by other bikers like I'm standing still on this road on occasion. The speed limit, however, is 45 mph. 
  • Third, it is relatively close to home -- a little over 40 miles.  A quick trip gets me there. 
Where is this paradise, you ask?

It is none other than Whitewater Falls. The falls is actually two falls, each visible from slightly different places.  Upper Whitewater Falls in just into North Carolina, and Lower Whitewater Falls is just south of that in South Carolina. 

Here is the map to the falls from the town of Easley.

The route is as on this interactive map
One of the better parts is US-178 between Pickens and SC-11.  That road extends from the lower right corner of the map and leads toward the northwest.  It has plenty of sweepers, is usually clean, and mostly not much traffic.  If you are a twistie junkie, then US-178 north of SC-11 is just the ticket.  It has many twists and turns on its way to Rosman North Carolina, then continues to the Blue Ridge Parkway and beyond on NC-215, if you like.  I am not going north of SC-11 today though.  
It is such a beautiful day, that I am enjoying the scenery and the road greatly.  I have sealed up any drafts around my neck with a balaclava and a neck warmer over that, so I am cozy and warm.  Too soon, I get to SC-11, and make the left turn there.  This is an almost straight section of road, where it is easy to exceed the 55 mph speed limit.  You do that at your peril, however, because the speed limit is enforced quite frequently by LEOs in cars and on bikes.  Along the way, you pass Keowee-Toxaway State Park where you can take a break, and Long Shoals Wayside Park is a little park that is a good place to stretch your legs. 

I turn right onto SC-130 and go about ten miles to the Whitewater Falls parking lot entrance, just beyond the North Carolina state line.  The curves are just right on 130, and I amble along enjoying every one.  The sky is beautiful -- partly cloudy, today.

About half the length of the road has recently been repaved, so it is nice and smooth.

I motor into the Whitewater Falls parking area, and shut down.  A man walking by asks how to get to the falls from here.  I explain that it is just a 1/2 mile walk up a paved path to an observation area, then, optionally, 154 steps down to a lower viewing platform if he had any energy left.  Just as I was turning back to my bike to secure my helmet to it, another family stopped in their car and asked where the falls was.  I told them the story as well.  It turns out that the mother of the family is originally from Pickens (a town I go through to get here) and was showing her family of five the falls she remembers from her youth. 

I secure my bike, set the alarm, and head off for the falls.

I can hear the roar of the falls well before I reach the overlook.  I am distracted from the path by this little dribble of a falls that is usually not present, but with the heavy rains is running freely.


I spend a minute or two enjoying this little one before I move along to the big one.

Here is what the falls usually look like, this photo was taken in July of 2008: 


When I get to the viewing area, I am not disappointed.


The falls is as full as I have ever seen it.  The width is about four or six times usual.


I stand and gaze.  What a piece of God's creation this is.  He has created this beauty for us to enjoy.  And enjoy it I am, on this beautiful day.  Here is a brochure for the upper falls. 

Listen for yourself:


Remember that this waterfall is about 400 feet high, so you can imagine how far away it is from the viewing platform. In fact, I can't even get its full height into my picture. 

I don't take the stairway to the lower viewing platform today, but I have nevertheless seen the best of the falls.

On my way back down the path, a take a picture of Lake Jocassee in the distance.


There is an overlook on the Wigington Byway just off SC-130 a little south of here that shows off this lake and the others south of it very nicely.

I put on my gear and head back out to the main road.  Just a short distance to the south, I turn left into the Bad Creek access road.  This leads to the Bad Creek Pumped Storage facility and to a housing development beyond it.  It also leads to a nice overlook for a view of Lower Whitewater Falls and Lake Jocassee.   The entrance to the road has a small Duke Power building and a high chain link fence, but you are allowed to enter.

The route from Whitewater Falls to the overlook on Lake Jocassee is as shown below.

The route is on this interactive map.
The Duke Power road is covered in tar snakes that are slippery when wet or very hot.  After a couple of miles of winding 'round the countryside, I turn slightly left into the overlook parking area.  Don't go blasting past that overlook, as there is a gate that is just around the curve to the left.

Here is a panorama of pictures from the overlook (almost all with my glove part way over the lens):








What's that off to the right?
 

That first panorama picture above shows Lower Whitewater Falls in the center distance.  The best view is from a boat, but if you go back up the Duke Power road and turn to the right on one opf the roads, that takes you to the trailhead for Lower Whitewater Falls.  It is a nice walk of two miles through the woods.  There is wreckage of a light plane that crashed in 1972 visible when the leaves are off the trees to the left of the falls.

This is a closer up view of the lower falls.



This is a view of part of the lower falls from the lake:

From: The Waterfalls of Oconee County, South Carolina

Oh, I forgot, here is better picture of my glove than the pictures above:


(I am sure you couldn't have gone on without seeing that.) 

As I prepare to leave the parking area, I check my GoPro to be sure it is working properly.


It is, as evidenced by it taking my picture as I tinkered with it.  And do you see my pretty MSF safety vest?  I wear it more lately because of fickle, inattentive drivers.

So how many times have I gone to Whitewater Fall either as a destination or as a stop on a longer ride?  I figure about 76 times out of 788 trips I have made since I bought the bike.  That's about 10%.  Me thinks I like to go there! 

Here are some of the other blog postings for rides that include Whitewater Falls:
Here is a posting with a list of waterfalls that are easy to get to from your bike parking place, so you don't have to walk far in those boots that aren't made for walkin'.


I hope to see you on  the road, maybe even at Whitewater Falls! 
.
.
.

No comments: