Monday, October 13, 2014

Gloves Gone, but Not Forgotten...and a Replacement Pair

.
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my favorite riding gloves were starting to go to pieces.  The perforated sections were tearing between the perforations.  Not good. 

So soon?  They still seem like they are my "new" gloves. 

The tears mean that they are probably not as protective as they ought to be in case of a fall. 

I bought that pair of Shift Carbine Motorcycle Gloves in 2008, based on a review by WebBikeWorld, that said they were a good value for gloves that were almost of race quality.  I paid about $88 for them, mail order. 
Fingers are not supposed to stick through.

They are comfortable and have given me good service over the years.  The loop half of the Velcro had become worn out a couple of years ago to the point where they would not stay closed, so I had some new Velcro sewn on by a local seamstress for about $20. 

It seems that Velcro does not last as long as it should.  Maybe it is counterfeit Velcro in the case of these gloves. 

I searched and searched for glove recommendations when I started looking for replacements of my old-faithful pair.  I ran across a sale at CycleGear online for the 2011 version of Alpinestars GP Plus Gloves.  Their original price was $189, but, because they are a few years old in style, they were advertised for $139.95 + local tax, and free shipping.  (I just looked, and they are now out of stock.  Sorry.  The newest version is likely just as good or better, but higher priced.) 

I carefully examined their sizing chart to make sure I sent for the right size.  You measure straight across your palm beneath the knuckles where your fingers meet your palm.  I settled on a size medium, and pressed the payment button.  (I thoroughly enjoy the research process up to that point, by the way, but not beyond.) 

After a few days waiting, the gloves arrived and I tried them on. 

They fit snugly across the hand and around the fingers, but since they are leather, they will break in and stretch a bit with use.  It does take a few extra seconds to get them on, being so tight.  They are quite comfortable, however.  The gauntlets cover my riding suit sleeves adequately, and there is a narrow strap with Velcro to secure the glove around your wrist to prevent its coming off.  Even though it has been hot, the gloves are comfortable and not oppressive. 





3rd and 4th fingers attached to one another

Alpinestars says there is dual density knuckle protection and finger sliders that offer superior impact and abrasion resistance.  The 3rd and 4th fingers are attached to one another to prevent the little finger from rolling (and breaking) if you are sliding on the outside of your hand.  They also say there is KEVLAR® in the lining.  The palms have little bumps that are supposed to allow for the palm to slide on the pavement instead of sticking.  Sticking instead of sliding can cause tumbling, and tumbling increases the probability of fractures.  There are stretch panels and perforations in the wrist area.  As might be expected, the fingers are pre-curved so you don't have to fight the gloves to grip the bars. 

So far, I like 'em. 

We'll see how long they last, and whether they remain comfortable over their life. 

Anybody have these gloves?  What do you think of them?
.
.

No comments: